Sunday, December 4, 2011

Cheesy Corn Chowder

I've kinda stolen this recipe.  My mother-in-law asked for the recipe after tasting this chowder at a gathering of friends.  My MIL made it last week.  I LOVED it and wanted to share it with all of you!  Oh, and PS:  IT MAKES A LOT!


Cheesy Corn Chowder

1 lb bacon, cut small
6 c chopped onions
1/2 c flour
salt and pepper, to taste
12 c chicken broth (3 qts)
6 c cubed potatoes (or more)
1 bag of frozen corn
1 lb American cheese

In a LARGE soup pot, brown bacon until crisp.  Remove from pan and add onions -- cook about 10 minutes, stir until clear and slightly brown.  Stir in flour, salt and pepper.  Cook for several minutes, stirring to make a roux.  Add chickent broth slowly, stirring to blend.  Add potatoes and corn.  Cook 15 to 20 minutes until potatoes are tender.  Stir in cheese a few slices at a time to melt.

ENJOY!

* I made this chowder Thursday.  I cut the onions in half (still lots of flavor).  I cut back to 3/4 lb of cheese (at $5.99/lb I just couldn't put in a whole pound).  Albeit my company didn't have lunch, but everyone ate at least two bowls and their teenage son ate four bowls.  I'd say it was a big hit!  PS:  We season with Lawry's and Mrs. Dash instead of salt and pepper.  Mmm, mm!

No comments:

Post a Comment