Sunday, March 6, 2011

Beef and Bean Burritos

I have a love for Mexican food that my family does not share at least in intensity. I like making enchilladas for company sometimes because I have a great Mexican Salad and Cornbread Casserole recipe that makes a nicely rounded meal. I even have a Mexican Fried Ice Cream recipe although I rarely make it because there is a lot of work involved. But I do love the flavors, textures and smells of Mexican food. I've struggled finding a good recipe for moist beef burritos -- until today!



Beef & Bean Burritos
1/4 cup oil
2 onions, chopped
4 lbs ground beef
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
16 oz can tomato sauce
62 oz can refried beans
24 - 10 in flour tortillas

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook onions until tender. Add ground beef and garlic; cook until browned. Drain; add seasonings and mix well. Stir in sauce; simmer for 5 minutes. Add beans; cook and stir until well blended. Cool slightly. Spread mixture down centers of tortillas; roll up burrito-style and arrange seam-side down on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes and serve immediately, or let cool and freeze on baking sheet. When frozen, wrap individually or in paris and store in plastic zipping freezer bags. Makes 2 dozen.

Heat & Eat Intructions: Thaw desired number of burritos. Reheat on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 15 to 25 minutes.

Notes: I chose to add some shredded cheddar cheese on top of the beef/bean mixture before closing up the burrito. I also smeared some salsa on top of the burritos and sprinkled them with more cheese before baking them in the oven. I only made a partial recipe because I wasn't sure how they would turn out. I will definitely make a full recipe next time and freeze some for a quick lunch or dinner later!
If anyone has a good mole sauce, I'd love to get a copy!!

Photo was found online -- Bing images.

No comments:

Post a Comment