Sunday, January 31, 2010

Slow Roasted Turkey Breast

What meal(s) come to mind when you hear the words "turkey breast"? I can usually only think of the traditional Thanksgiving meal with stuffing, corn, and mashed potatoes. Thinking I might be the only one that thought that, I asked my friend and she said the same thing. So, when I saw turkey breast on sale Buy One, Get One, I decided to go to the ever faithful website, http://www.allrecipes.com/.

A recipe came up with high ratings, and there were two, count them, two ingredients!

Slow Roasted Turkey Breast

1 (6 pound) bone-in turkey breast
1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix

Rinse the turkey breast and pat dry. Cut off any excess skin, but leave the skin covering the breast. Rub onion soup mix all over outside of the turkey and under the skin. Place in a slow cooker. Cover, and cook on High for 1 hour, then set to Low, and cook for 7 hours.


There were a few suggestions for adding butter to the bottom of the slow cooker or adding a few veggies like onion and celery for more flavor. I did add about a 1/2 cup of water just because I didn't want the powdered soup mix to cook on the bottom of the slow cooker. Because of time restrictions, I cooked mine for 2 hours on high and 4 hours on low -- it was falling off the bone!

We had broccoli with cheese and some jazzed up scalloped potatoes with cheese & bacon (a recipe that I might share later after I tweak it a little). The turkey has a savory flavor from the onion soup mix which was a nice change from the traditional cooked poultry taste. I was also able to save about 4 cups of turkey to use in other recipes.

Photo and recipe courtesy of Allrecipes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment