Monday, February 8, 2010

Easy Tiramisu

Now that my dishwasher is running, the woodburner is stoked and the kids are entertained, I can post this week's recipe!

We had company this weekend, and I wanted to try a new dessert. So I dug out my old Kraft Food & Family magizines and found this recipe, Tiramisu Bowl (Holiday '08 / Winter '09). I did make an adjustment or two . . .


First, instead of vanilla wafers, I chose to use pound cake. I didn't want crunchy OR soggy wafers, so I used the Betty Crocker pound cake mix I had in the pantry. I baked the pound cake as directed, cooled it, sliced it into 1" slices and then cut each piece into 1/4" slices or a little thicker. If I remember correctly, I used 30 slices (approximately 2/3 of the pound cake).

Secondly, the magazine didn't show the three options on how to serve this recipe. When I started putting the dessert together, I decided to use a 7"x11" baking dish because I didn't think I could get the thin slices of pound cake to stand up around the edge of a triffle dish. I would definitely recommend using the smaller pan (smaller than the recommended 9"x13") because the "custard" layers were thicker.

I opted out of using rasperries and Cool Whip on top. They didn't appeal to me, and I don't even want to think of how much raspberries cost this time of year! I also "borrowed" some decaf coffee from my inlaws since they make it strong and we don't drink coffee. It worked out great. I wasn't worried about eating it late at night either! Here's what mine looked like -- at least what was left over. Can't believe there was any left as it was a big hit!

And without further ado, here's the recipe (copied from Kraftfoods.com):

What You Need!

1 pkg. (8 oz.) Cream Cheese, softened
3 cups cold milk
2 pkg. (3.4 oz. each) Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
48 Vanilla Wafers
1/2 cup brewed strong coffee, cooled
2 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, coarsely grated
1 cup fresh raspberries (optional)

Make It!

FOR THE FILLING:
BEAT cream cheese in large bowl with mixer until creamy. Gradually beat in milk and dry pudding mixes. Gently stir in 2 cups COOL WHIP.

NOW, YOU CHOOSE!

BOWL: LINE bottom and side of 2-1/2-qt. bowl with half the wafers; drizzle with half the coffee. Top with half the pudding mixture and chocolate. Repeat layers. Top with remaining COOL WHIP and raspberries. Refrigerate several hours.

PAN: LINE bottom of 13x9-inch pan with half the wafers; drizzle with half the coffee. Top with half the pudding mixture and chocolate. Repeat layers. Top with remaining COOL WHIP and raspberries. Refrigerate several hours.

PARFAITS: Place 1 wafer on bottom of each of 16 dessert dishes; drizzle each with 3/4 tsp. coffee. Top each with 1/4 cup pudding mixture and a sprinkle of chocolate. Repeat layers. Top with remaining COOL WHIP, raspberries and wafers. Refrigerate several hours.

It's not Olive Garden's Tiramisu, but it GOOD and EASY! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment