Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Brussel Sprouts With Bacon

My family has a very limited list of veggies they like to eat.  I'm thankful they eat salad; however, alternating that with corn and peas becomes very boring, very quickly.  That, and I hate serving so many starches!  Mind you, they do eat some raw veggies -- carrots, cauliflower and celery -- as long as they can have some ranch dip.  Just seems strange to me to serve raw veggies as a side dish with dinner, so I've been on a hunt to find other veggie side dishes or new ways to present veggies to my family.
 
Last week, we tried brussel sprouts!  I think maybe once in my life I've had a brussel sprout.  Probably the time my parents said, "You need to at least try something before you say you don't like it." Since that's how I grew up, I figured my kids should have the same experience. Hey! I didn't die!  Well, only my oldest daughter and I liked them.  The hubby would rather do without them, but he said they wouldn't be too bad with more bacon and onion.  Whatdoyouknow?!?  Everything (even brussel sprouts) taste better with bacon!  And the younger two thought they were "disgusting"!  Personally, I think they taste similar to cooked cabbage.  I happened to like cooked cabbage, so brusssel sprouts are okay in my book.  Kinda strange to think I might actually go to the store and buy brussel sprouts on purpose though!
 

Brussel Sprouts

Ingredients

  • 3 slices uncooked bacon, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 shallot, chopped
  • 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed, small spouts left whole, larger spouts halved
  • Salt and pepper, to your taste
  • 1 cup chicken broth

Directions

Brown bacon in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Add extra-virgin olive oil to the pan, 1 turn. Add shallots to the pan and saute 1 to 2 minutes. Add Brussels spouts and coat in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook Brussels sprouts 2 to 3 minutes to begin to soften, then add broth. Bring broth to a bubble, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 10 minutes, until tender. Transfer sprouts to a serving dish with a slotted spoon and top with cooked bacon bits.

Receipe from Food Network.  Photo from Bing.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment