Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pot Roast (Cola-style)

Pot Roast has to be one of my all-time favorite comfort foods.  It all began when I was a child.  Some wonderful ladies at our church used to make pot roast for church activities and wedding receptions.  I've since gotten the recipe but just don't have the touch to make it taste the same.

Recently, I came across this recipe on my favorite recipe source!  The secret ingredient -- cola!  Since I'm unlearned, I'm guessing it's the carbonation that makes the meat so tender.  Hands down.  I will NEVER make another type of roast again!  I will however try to make it with Diet Coke next time since that's what we have on hand.  Bought a Coke at a vending machine last time.  This is a great meal to throw in a crock pot.  Just follow the directions for the size roast you have and your choice of a low or high setting.


Cola Pot Roast II

4 pounds beef sirloin roast
3 carrots, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 (.75 ounce) packet dry brown gravy mix
2 tablespoons water
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
10 fluid ounces cola-flavored carbonated beverage

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).


2.  Place meat in a roasting pan. Sprinkle carrots, celery and minced garlic around roast.

3.  In a small bowl, combine the brown gravy mix and water, mixing into a smooth paste. Add onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup and cola-flavored carbonated beverage. Pour over the roast.

4.  Cover pan, and cook 1 hour in the preheated oven.

5.  Reduce oven temperature to 225 degrees F (110 degrees C), and continue cooking 2 hours. Remove from oven, and turn roast over so that the top is now covered with the gravy. Cover pan, and return to oven for a minimum of 2 hours.

6.  Remove from oven, and let meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if this would work for a venison roast? I have yet to find a recipe for venison roast that allows it to be tender and juicy :( .....Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be curious to know how it turns out. I'm not a big fan of venison since it leavesa film on the roof of my mouth. :P Wonder if all the flavors/packet mixes would help cover that??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this! I will be making it with Elk roast which tends to be a little dry. I have been looking for a cola recipe for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be trying this with Elk roast. Elk tends to be a little dry so I'm hoping this will moisten it up.

    ReplyDelete