Sunday, January 9, 2011

Baked Potato Soup

My husband's and my idea of potato soup greatly differ. In efforts to find a middle ground, I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com. I think we've found a compromise -- I had to make more the next day he like it so much.


Baked Potato Soup

3 bacon strips, diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup half-and-half cream
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Minced fresh parsley

In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Saute onion and garlic in the drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well. Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, cream and hot pepper sauce; heat through but do not boil. Garnish with bacon, cheese and parsley.

Note: I didn't use basil or hot sauce because we don't care for those flavors, but I did add some chives in place of the basil. I also used precooked bacon and used a little oil to saute the onion and garlic. Pretty sure I upped the amount of potatoes and it was still "soupy" enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment