Monday, March 1, 2010

Golden Shepherd's Pie

Since St. Patrick's Day is in March, I'm going to post an Irish dish today. (If it's not Irish, don't burst my bubble. I'm happy thinking it is.)

I don't remember how I stumbled on this recipe, but it was back when I was looking for recipes to use the turkey breast I got on sale. I misplaced it for a while (in a folder on my computer) and found it again! So I pulled out some turkey and stuffing* I had in the freezer, used leftover veggies and potatoes in the frig (I planned extra mashed potatoes the day before) and put this together.

Around Christmas, I found these little ceramic loaf pans for $1. I picked them up thinking I would make bread for someone and give them away. For some reason, I remembered they were laying around and made individual "pies". It worked great to send in my hubby's lunch to reheat in the microwave.


Golden Shepherd's Pie
2 to 3 cups prepared stuffing
1 cup cooked green beans, broccoli, carrots, or other vegetables
2 1/2 cups turkey, cubed or sliced
1 to 2 cups turkey gravy
2 cups mashed potatoes
1/4 cup butter, diced (optional especially if you preseasoned your potatoes)
Garnish: Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Paprika, Parsley
In four lightly greased oven-safe bowls, a 10" deep-dish pie plate or an 11x7" baking dish, layer stuffing, vegetables, turkey and gravy. Spread or pipe mashed potatoes over top; Dot with butter and sprinkles with garnishes as desired. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes, until heated through and golden. Serves 4-6.

* Some recipes I have call for a small amount of stuffing, so I make a whole box and freeze the remainder. My MIL puts some in her chicken salad. I use it for various recipes.
------------------------
After some research, I found the source of this recipe: Gooseberry Patch (again!) Click on it to be linked to the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment