Sunday, March 28, 2010

Crowd-Pleasing Scalloped Potatoes

I've had to compromise on this post . . . I made my own version of this recipe. I wrote down how I wanted to make it, but forgot to make the notes of how I would tweak it after it was made. I think it needed more liquid so I don't want to give you my recipe and not have it turn out.

SO . . . I'll just post the original and give you an idea of how I made my changes.



Crowd-Pleasing Scalloped Potatoes

prep time 30 min
total time 2 hr
makes 18 servings, 1/2 cup each

What You Need!

1 tub (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Chive & Onion Cream Cheese Spread
2 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup milk
10 slices OSCAR MAYER Bacon, cooked, crumbled and divided
4-1/2 lb. Yukon gold potatoes (about 12), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 cup KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Colby & Monterey Jack Cheese

Make It!

HEAT oven to 400ºF.
COOK cream cheese spread, broth and milk in saucepan on medium heat until cream cheese is melted and mixture comes to boil, stirring constantly with whisk.
RESERVE 2 Tbsp. bacon. Layer half each of the potatoes, onions and remaining bacon in 13x9-inch baking dish; repeat layers. Add cream cheese sauce; cover.
BAKE 1-1/2 hours or until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown, uncovering and topping with shredded cheese and reserved bacon the last 10 min.

You can click here for link to recipe on www.kraftfoods.com.

Notes: Unless you have a large, deep pan like in the picture shown, DO NOT use 4 1/2 lbs of potatoes! I think I used 9 potatoes and had a crammed full 9x13 pan. Also, I would definitely recommend placing half the potatoes in the pan, adding half the sauce, remainder of potatoes and remainder of sauce. I thought there wasn't enough sauce in the bottom half of the potatoes by adding the sauce at the end.

I didn't care for the curdled chunks of cream cheese (sorry I have texture issues). So I made my favorite scalloped potato recipe and made the following changes:
~ replaced the milk in my recipe with chicken broth
~ added bacon, chives and cheese (my scalloped potatoes calls for onions)

I'm sure I'll be making this soon and will try to take better notes. I'll add an official recipe to this post once I do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment