Friday, October 12, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

I LOVE PUMPKIN!  I can't wait for this time of year, so I eat all kinds of tasty, pumpkiny things!  Did you know that most stores don't sell canned pumpkin year round?  A few years ago there was a shortage in northwest Pennsylvania, and canned pumpkin was sparse (and has been the last couple years).  I was disappointed to find that out when I went to buy it to make something for my dad, a fellow pumpkin lover.  Now I stock up in the fall.
 
After saying all that, you'll probably be shocked to hear that I don't like this recipe that I'm posting.  I think it's just a preference, and I didn't want anyone to miss out on a fall dish just because of my taste.  I added more spices, sugar and milk to make it palatable for me, but I'd suggest you try as written and then tweak it.
 

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

1 3/4 cup water
1 cup dry oats
1/2 cup canned pumpkin purée
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
Pecans
Maple Syrup, to taste

Cook the oats according to the package directions. Once the oats are almost done, add and mix the pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice into the oatmeal. Transfer to a bowl and add the maple syrup on top. Sprinkle with the pecans and enjoy.

Recipe and photo from The Compulsive Culinaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment