Monday, January 30, 2012

Country-Style Pork BBQ Ribs

Sometimes I think I should have been born in the south.  Then I think I would be 300 pounds if I had been born in the south!  I love me some BBQ of any kind just the same!  I've tried many different rubs, BBQ sauces and methods of cooking never reaching that desired flavor and tenderness with a partially crunchy exterior -- until last week! 

It was a fluke honestly.  I had forgotten to think about dinner.  When I realized what my menu choices were, I was bummed because I usually cook my ribs in a crock pot for HOURS, and I only had a couple hours left until dinner.  I was going to attempt a new rub but nothing was jumping out at me.  I had found one online years ago that I liked but didn't print it out and cannot find it again (Food Network person that no longer has a show).  When I was younger, we used to visit family in Florida.  My uncle made a BBQ sauce out of a mixture of things.  I've used it occasionally on hamburgers and other things we've grilled.  I like the flavor, so thought I'd just use that since I was in a bind.  It turned out to be the most wonderful thing EVER!


Country-Style Pork BBQ Ribs

3/4 c Open Pit Original BBQ sauce
1/3 c ketchup
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 pounds country-style pork ribs


1.  Preheat grill on high.  Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Mix first six ingredients in a bowl.  Generously baste ribs with BBQ mixture on all sides.  Grill ribs only to sear outside to desired amount.  Reapply BBQ mixture as you turn the ribs to grill other sides.  Do not grill ribs until completely cooked.  Should only take about 10 minutes.

2.  Remove ribs from grill.  Place them in a 9x13 pan and cover the pan with aluminum foil.  Poke a few small holes in the aluminum foil.  Continue cooking ribs in a 300 degree oven for 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

Country-style pork ribs have more meat on them the traditional ribs we think of.  Feel free to try this method with other ribs, chicken, pork roasts or tenderloins.  I'm pretty sure it will be yummy!  You could also substitute your favorite BBQ sauce in the recipe above.  (Note: The sugar helps attain that wonderful crusting on the ribs exterior.)  We ate these to-die-for potatoes along with our ribs.

Due to my camera's untimely death and my cell phone's poor picture quality, enjoy the picture above I found on Bing images.  Please try not to drool on your computer. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment