Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Mom's Chili

Since I lack in the creativity department (or at least the creative writing department), I'm calling this recipe Mom's Chili because my wonderful Mother-in-law gave it to me or rather allowed me to steal it. (You can call it Ms. Red's Chili if you prefer.) I had to peer over her shoulder as she made it to get the recipe, but I'm getting good at it since most of her best recipes are in her head. I think I've perfected this the best of all those special recipes, so you are in for a treat! (The picture isn't as nice as the chili. The kids were starving and there usually isn't any left when we're done. So this is all I have to show you.)


Mom's Chili

3/4 lb ground beef
1/4 c each chopped onion, green pepper and celery
2 cans kidney beans, undrained
2 cans tomato soup
2 T+ chili powder, to taste
Garlic powder or minced garlic, to taste

1. Brown ground meat in large skillet; add in chopped veggies.
2. Add beans, soup, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir until well blended.
3. Simmer on low heat until thick stirring occasionally (approximately 30 minutes).

Serve warm with fresh bread! Mmmm!

Just a couple tips: I use light red kidney, but have used chili beans, etc. It does make a difference adding celery and green pepper. They aren't my favorite veggies, and I have had to make it without them because I didn't have them. It really does make a big difference in flavor. You can add way more veggies if you like them. I dice them small since we don't like them that much, but my MIL chops up huge chuncks of veggies. Also, simmering the chili makes a big difference in flavor too. The color darkens and the "sauce" thickens which is just wonderful when you dip your fresh bread in to it!


Here's a picture of Madison -- proud of the face she made in her chili with oyster crackers! She smiles while her sister asks, "Why are you always taking pictures of our food?" HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment