Sometimes I'll pair this with grilled keilbasa or baked chicken. Sometimes we will make it the main dish for lunch with a side of fruit, vegetables or Jell-O salad.
Baked Macaroni & Cheese
3/4 lb elbow macaroni
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack / Colby
4-6 slices Swiss cheese
2 Tbs butter
1/2 cup milk *
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Dash of salt and pepper
1/4 cup bread crumbs (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2-quart baking dish (or 7x11 casserole dish).
2. Cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
3. Melt butter and heat milk in pan pasta was cooked in. Pour pasta back in to the pan. Add Cheddar and Monterrey Jack / Colby cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder.
* add more milk to make creamier
4. Spoon half of mixture into prepared dish. Place Swiss cheese in a single layer. Add remainder of mixture. If desired, sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
5. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
This recipe can easily be adjusted for a 9x13 pan: 1 lb elbow macaroni, 2 cups each Cheddar and Monterry Jack / Colby, 6-8 sliced Swiss cheese, 3 Tbs butter, 3/4 cup milk, 1/2 tsp + garlic powder. Cooking time remains same. Serves: 8-10
PS: Forgot to mention . . . obviously you don't need to use sliced Swiss cheese . . . I just have a half a package left from making the "Creamy Swiss Chicken" I posted last month. You can find shredded Swiss cheese in the grocery store and add it in to melt with the other cheeses rather than layering.