Sunday, October 11, 2009

Creamy Swiss Chicken

This week's recipe comes with a challenge . . . I received this recipe from my sweet mother-in-law. Problem is, we don't have a name for it. She calls it "Triplett Chicken" because the last name of the man that gave it to her was Triplett. We have quite a few oddly named recipes, but that's a whole other story. I named it Creamy Swiss Chicken, but that just shows my inability to creatively name a recipe. (A little side note: Even if you are not a big fan of Swiss cheese, try this recipe. The flavor isn't real stong, and it melts into the sauce and gives the dish a great flavor.)

So when you make this recipe, let your creative juices flow. Leave a comment with a recipe name recommendation. Maybe I'll think of a prize for the winner! If nothing else, I'll be eternally grateful that my recipe no longer bears the name of Triplett Chicken!

6 halved, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/3 soup can of milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted (optional)
6 slices Swiss cheese
1/3 cup bread crumbs

1. Layer chicken in 9x13” baking dish. (If you have the time, browning the chicken first adds a lot of flavor. Chicken breast halves can be cut into 2-3 pieces to stretch the servings.)
2. Mix soup and milk in a mixing bowl. Pour over chicken to cover.
3. Layer cheese over chicken. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Drizzle with butter.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Let sit for 3 minutes before serving.

Yield: 6-8 servings

This is really good served with mashed potatoes as the sauce can be served over the potatoes. I have even mixed some of the sauce in with the potatoes to thin it out -- not that I ran out of milk or anything ;) -- just being creative! It added great flavor! If I have the extra money, I buy pre-made mashed potatoes in the refrigerated section. It's a great time saver if you have the money.

Please excuse my lack of color and the two starches in this meal -- corn is what we had that day, so corn is what we ate with dinner. Probably doesn't matter to many people, but I always think of those things since my high school Home Ec teacher ingrained it in my memory.

Don't forget to leave a recipe name suggestion! ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment