Monday, July 2, 2012

How To Make Baking Powder

Since my brain doesn't feel like thinking about what recipe to post, I thought I would start a new series -- Tips!  There are a couple of them swirling around in my head, so maybe it's the start of something.

A couple weeks ago, I learned I was out of baking powder when I went to make sausage-stuffed pancakes (Oh! Reecipe idea! If I haven't shared it already.)  Anyway, I was in a hurry and didn't have time to look up any solutions.  Fast forward to today . . . I forgot to put baking powder on my grocery list. =(  Too tired to figure out what else to make for my kids for lunch, I decided to "google" it.  This is what I found.  AND it worked!

How To Make Baking Powder:

1. Sift 1/4 cup cream of tartar, 2 tbsp. cornstarch and 2 tbsp. baking soda into the bowl.

2. Stir the mixture thoroughly.

3. Store your homemade baking powder in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Use it just as you would commercial baking powder.

Now, you do have to have a more-than-average amount of cream of tarter lying around, but I happen to have a lot lying around.  We made Jell-o Playdough. It requires cream of tarter, so I bought it cheaper at an amish bulk food store.

No comments:

Post a Comment