Friday, July 30, 2010

Lard Bucket Meal

Ok, so I'm sure I at least have your curiosity peaked. This recipe was passed down from my grandparents. When we'd visit in the summer, they would make this meal for us. As many recipes from years ago, they aren't specifics -- just a little of this, a little of that. This recipe is also very versatile depending on what you have around or what your family likes or dislikes. Don't add sweet potatoes and add extra potatoes, etc.

The main gist of this recipe is to steam meat and veggies cooking them a long time over low heat. I've added a picture of a lard bucket to show how this recipe received it's name. Add fresh, sliced tomatoes from the garden, some home-made biscuits and you're set! My mouth is watering just thinking about it.


Here are the ingredients when serving 8:

3 lbs kielbasa
3 sweet potatoes
3 Idaho potatoes
4-5 ears of corn
large onion
4-5 carrots
medium head of cabbage
1/4 c. butter
3-4 cups chicken broth
pepper to taste

Each pound of kielbasa was cut into 6 links. Sweet & Idaho potatoes were cut in half lengthwise and then cut in 3rds. Shucked and broke ears of corn in half. Quartered onion. Cut carrots into 3rds. Cabbage was cut in half then quartered. Placed all veggies in large pot and topped with kielbasa. Poured chicken broth over everything and added water until it was about 1/2 covered?? Can add slices of butter (optional).

Optional Cooking Methods
Oven: Cover. Bake @ 325 degrees for 2 - 2 1/2 hours. ?? Kinda iffy on that one -- can't remember how long I baked it.
Stove top: Bring liquid to boil. Cover and reduce heat. Cook 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Crock pot: High setting 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours, Low setting 7-9 hours.

Notes: My grandparents just use water if you don't want the cost of the chicken broth. I love the flavor it adds though. You can add garlic, peppers, turnips, kohlrabi or whatever fits your fancy (or you have in your garden)! I've seen a recipe that adds herbs like basil and thyme.
Will add picture of finished product if I can find my picture from my other computer. sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment