Sunday, December 13, 2009

Slow-Cooked Enchilada Dinner

With the holidays quickly approaching, I thought a "quick-fix" dinner would be a good idea. We tried this last week and my picky 5-year old inhaled it!


1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, chopped (1 Tbsp minced)
1 - 15 oz can ranch-style beans, undrained*
1 - 10 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained**
1/4 c chopped green pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin**
1/4 tsp pepper
1 c shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 c shredded Cheddar cheese
6 flour tortillas (6 inch)

1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
2. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, green peppers, chili powder, salt, cumin and pepper. In a small bowl, combine the cheeses; set aside.
3. In a 5-qt slow cooker coated with cooking spray, place two tortillas side by side overlapping if necessary. Layer with a third of the beef mixture and cheese. Repeat layers twice. Cover and cook on low for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until heated through.

Yield: 6 servings.

* I found Kuner's of Colorado Southwestern Ranchero Beans (pinto in a tex-mex sauce) at Giant Eagle, and they worked well.

**Our family doesn't like chunks of tomatoes or green chiles, so I bought plain diced tomatoes and cut them up a little before adding them. I also opted out of the cumin and there was plenty of flavor without it.

This would be really good topped with any of the listed toppings -- fresh diced tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, lettuce, onions, black olives or crushed tortilla chips. I just used what we had on hand. I also bought the 8" flour tortillas because my crockpot is round and they fit perfectly. I still did a double layer.

Stay warm and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment